Monday, May 10, 2021

It’s Thick Here; “ White-Collar Struggles”


I didn't want to live my life without living my life,

So I was not closed about my sexual identity.

Yes, I was that “lesbian” on campus!!

That girl who wears men’s suits to class presentations.

I guess it’s a lot of things that were said about me,

They say I turn heads, whatever that means. 😏

I will assume it's my queerness 🤷🏾‍♀️


2018 was the worst and best year.

Passionate about politics and Activism,

I ran for the SRC elections.

Yes, I am queer, so yes I lost the election.

Let's just say the system was manipulated; someone had to take the Ls.

It’s thick here!!

For a minute I stopped believing in myself.

Dealing with depression and anxiety became my daily bread,

But because depression is regarded as “un-African,” I was unequipped to deal with it.

I had to turn my presence into absence!!


Fast forward to my internship; I dreaded going to work every day.

Because Zimbabweans are very judgemental.

Always out of my comfort zone to keep my personality “straight,”

I had to walk, speak and eat like a “girl.”

It’s just thick here

Africans are 🤦🏾‍♂️ consistently abusing CULTURE!!

The same culture that has caused wars and destroyed families

This country is deep-rooted in hate!!


I don't know...


Being queer is expensive,

Constantly paying for being who you are!!

Many professional doors are automatically shut if you are queer.

Once you out of the closet, peers turn into pythons 🐍!!

But BE YOURSELF, the world will adjust.

I am Kween, and that's who I’m gon’ be!!

Now that college is done, let me go and do precisely that.



1 comment:

  1. ��You rise above situations I bet... Keep going ��

    ReplyDelete