Thursday, May 27, 2021

Unapologetic

As I teenaged, the urge to come out began sprouting inside me.

Societies confinements could not hold me any longer.

Pretense was now just sipping on the last drops of my vigor and vitality.

It was time! 

Time to let the Kween out.

So I had to look in the mirror at the one that knows me better,

I had to look her in the eyes and tell her ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

To assure her that I was ready for her manifestation and everything that tags along with that.

Ready to rub shoulders with homophobia, judgment, and persecution as if we were cousins.

Because ostensibly it’s standard practice here in the motherland.

How do we even call it the motherland?

It was time for that quid pro quo accord between my soul and my outer self.

So I had to be ready to dismantle balconies of all those who dared looked down on me!

Inclined to lose ‘friends,’ ‘relatives,’ ‘acquaintances,’ and all the imposters we continue surrounding ourselves with. 

I had to be prepared to wear pain like my own skin because thats all homophobia does.

To be called names and to be ridiculed.

I mean, it had to be that or living the undeniably exhausting double life. And I had undeniably exhausted my energy.

So I climbed out of the abyss... 

Out of what society had prescribed for me as if my life was societies, the audacity!

And ever since I started viewing life through my own lens, I have learned that open-mindedness is a prerequisite of a fulfilling life.

That life is too short to spend trying to squeeze yourself in some minute prescribed box , and It was never a lie.

What stumped me on the way was obtuse excuses like, “... I knew it, I knew you were gay.” OK ma’am so what changed now?

I lost a couple of people on the way. Rest in peace ✌️.










7 comments:

  1. “Open mindedness is a prerequisite of a fulfilling life”🀌🏼😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your story telling keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Accuracy! ❤️❤️. ��

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was then that the person who stares at me in the mirror got cold feet and ran.
    Winning against your fears is amazing! Kudos to you

    ReplyDelete
  5. �� It's the diction for me��

    Keep it up ��

    ReplyDelete

It’s Thick Here; “All Girls Aren’t Pink” Part 1

 Any place would provide a better life for me as a queer person other than Africa. Zimbabweans are just so judgmental and institutionalized ...