Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Self Portrait As A Blue Boy

when my father's conditional love falls 

on my shoulder, digging it's ‘religious’ systematic claws

into my collarbone; demanding

sacrifice in return for his

acknowledgement

of my

existence;

my worthiness 

I learn to receive his broken

version of what love is

without protest.


_paint me as I am, eager to please_

_settle into the orbs of my deep_

_unhappy eyes with ease paint me perfect, ready to be wanted_

_to be loved, paint me light and visible against a wall._


when my mother's backhand strikes against my cheek 

her judgements grow palms to hit me against the wall 

as her anger cools down to simmer

her fingertips 

slide down the

curvature of my spine

searching for forgiveness 

she, a battlefield of a woman

she fights everything she doesn't know

I learn to hide aspects of myself she has no desire to learn how to love.


_paint me as I am, without complaint_

_kinetic energy without equilibrium_

_a fixed star collapsing in on itself_

_paint me staring at stellar remnants_

_add figure; less interest, skin_

_colour in some endurance in my cheeks._


when my family's anger and hand-me-down trauma 

comes over for lunch or dinner

makes itself

a guest in our spaces

and cusses out

whilst throwing Bible verses

tells me I've failed

at loving properly?

I learn to cry without

really crying

at all.


_paint me as I am_ 

_a body soaked in victimhood_

_like a holy bath_

_baptized_

_smell it on these tattered limbs_

_on my crumbling bones_

_blood stained on my hands deep your brush into a jar of feelings_

_an etymology_

_of events linked by meaning,_

_in a chain of cruelties which make up the man,_

_The What & the When_

_Of who I am -_

_The portrait of a blue boy._



©️ Prince Rayanne Chidzvondo

No comments:

Post a Comment

It’s Thick Here; “All Girls Aren’t Pink” Part 1

 Any place would provide a better life for me as a queer person other than Africa. Zimbabweans are just so judgmental and institutionalized ...